2008.02.21 22:13 "Re: [Tiff] Release notes", by Andinet Enquobahrie
Thanks for the quick response.
I found the following "Change information" links
And, I pooled the information in these links and came up with the following list
of main changes from 3.5.7 to 3.8.2. I hope I am not missing anything big.
The main changes in 3.6.0
- New utility raw2tiff for converting raw rasters into TIFF files.
- Lots of new tiff2ps options.
- Lots of new fax2tiff options.
- Lots of bug fixes for LZW, JPEG and OJPEG compression.
- LZW compression kit synchronized with actual libtiff version.
The main changes in 3.6.1
- New utility tiff2pdf for converting TIFF images directly into PDF.
- New color conversion module.
- Full support for Orientation tag in TIFFRGBAImage interface.
- Many bugs fixed.
The main changes in 3.7.0
- Significant changes in software configuration: we are switched to GNU autotools now.
- tiffset: tiffset now can set any libtiff supported tags. Tags can be supplied by the mnemonic name or number.
- The code has been reviewed by Dmitry Levin: added checks for values, returned by the space allocation functions, fixed problems with the possible integer overflows.
The main changes in 3.7.1
1. This is mostly bugfix release. Most important fix is the one
related to wrong custom tag read/write code.
The main changes in 3.7.2
1. Maintenance release. Many bugfixes in the build environment and
The main changes in 3.7.3
- Replace runtime endianess check with the compile time one.
- Added support for the new predictor type (floating point predictor), defined at the TIFF Technical Note 3.
- Added Support for custom tags, passed by value. Added support for all DNG tags.
The main changes in 3.7.4
1. Fixed important bug in custom tags handling code..
The main changes in 3.8.0
- Read-only support for custom directories (e.g. EXIF directory).
- Preliminary support for MS MDI format.
The main changes in 3.8.1
1. Bug fix release
The main changes in 3.8.2
1. Bug-fix release.
By the way, any idea when the stable version of 3.9.0 will be out?
On 2/21/08, Frank Warmerdam <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> Andinet Enquobahrie wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > We are looking into updating the version of libtiff we are using in our > > toolkits. We are currently using 3.5.7. To make the decision to update
> > to a newer version, we were wondering about the difference between the > > newer versions and 3.5.7. Are there any release notes for the
> > different versions? Is there a documentation or a tracking > > system for new features and bug fixes?
> The authoritative resource is the ChangeLog file, though it's a bit hard
> to comb through. I was going to paste it in here, but the ChangeLog is
> really pretty substantial. I see 1.5.7 was back in 2001 sometime. So,
> yes, there have been some changes. :-)
and watch the world go round - Rush | President OSGeo, http://osgeo.org